Editing Document Profiles
Right-click on a document in the Search Results list in the Knowledge area of HowNow and then select Profile. The Edit Document Profile wizard appears.
- Title – the title of the document. A maximum of 80 characters is allowed.
- Description, Standard Keywords and Custom Keywords. These fields apply only to the edition of the document being edited. Custom keywords are not overwritten when a content update is received.
- Document Type - specify the document’s document type (some document types will require a Procedural Area to be assigned).
- Procedural Area - specify the document’s procedural area.
- In Use By - this field shows the initials of the person currently using a document. Clear Button - use this button to clear the In Use By field if the person using a document is no longer logged into HowNow.
- This Item is Deleted - this will be checked if the item has been deleted i.e. it is in the Recycle Bin
- This Edition is Deleted - this will be checked if this edition of this item has been deleted i.e. it is in the Recycle Bin
- Open as editable document – check only if this document needs to be edited or added to by standard HowNow users (e.g. a log of some sort).
- Document is active – uncheck if this document is no longer used. Inactive documents are indicated in the search results list with the words [INACTIVE]. Note: if an inactive document is published, it will be set to inactive on the receiving system.
- Document has been modified – this field is automatically checked if the document is a new Edition - has been added, modified or duplicated. It is used to flag documents on the review list to indicate that they have been modified (the title is displayed in red) and that they should be reviewed carefully if they are the subject of a content update.
- Add to Review List and Add to Favourites List – check these boxes if you would like this document to be added to your personal Favourites List and/or Review List.
- Author and Owner – used to record the owner and author of this document if required.
- Approval Status – used to control the approval status of this document.
- Content Modules – used to attach or detach content modules to or from this document.
- Expiry date - set if the document is to expire at a specified time and choose an Action to be performed when the expiry date is reached. The action options are:
- Warning Message – any user opening the document is warned that the document has expired but is allowed to continue.
- Set To Inactive – the document is set to inactive when the Administrator opens HowNow on the day the document is set to expire.
- Document has merge fields – check if this document contains HowNow merge fields (such as a standard letter template).
- Style Template - use this field to attach or detach a style template to or from this document - only available when the document has merge fields.
- Automatically File to Records – select this checkbox if the Records module is installed and you want to automatically create a record whenever this document is opened. When this option is selected you can also select to clear the description and/or keywords.
- Default Record Title - the title entered here is used as the default title of the record that is created when this document is used as a merge document or set to automatically file.
- Note: the title can have the record ID, contact field values or today's date automatically embedded by using [RECORDID], [CONTACTFIELDNAME] or [YYYYMMDD] in the title.
- For example, to insert today's date in reverse order at the beginning of the title, followed by the entity name, use [YYYMMDD] [ENTITYNAME].
- Area and Default Record Location - these fields allow a default record location for this document to be entered. This is used whenever a record is created using this document.
- Lock Record Location in the Filing Wizard - checking this field forces the default record location to be used when a record is created using this document.
Revision Notes Tab
This tab displays the revision notes created for this profile.
Topics Tab (only appears if Topics has been selected for use) - Displays all of the document topics available. The topics that this profile belongs to are indicated by a tick. Tick a topic to add or uncheck to remove from a topic.
Visibility Tab (only appears if teams has been selected for use) - Displays all the teams you belong to and indicates which ones the profile belongs to by a tick. Tick a team to add or uncheck to remove from a team.
Audit Trail Tab - Displays all of the actions performed on this profile and its associated document. The Include Open History in Audit Trail checkbox at the bottom of the screen hides or shows details for when the document has been opened (the default is not to show the audit trail for the open event).
Add a Revision Note to a Document Profile:
Read Adding Documents to HowNow prior to adding revision notes.
- Select a document and then choose Revision Note from the right-click menu.
- Enter your note in the Details field. Notes usually relate to the details of a change or revision to the document.
- Click OK.
- The Revision Note Details dialog closes, and the new note will appear in the Revision Notes tab of the Profile dialog
Edit Selected Item Profiles
This wizard allows bulk changes to be made to a range of document profiles in one operation. Some privileges will be required to be able to access this process.
- Select a range of documents in the search results list by either clicking the first document, holding down the shift key and clicking the last item, or holding down the Ctrl key while clicking documents.
- From the right-click menu, select Profile Selection. The Edit Selected Document Profiles Wizard will appear.
- The wizard welcome screen shows how many items will be affected by the process. Click Next to continue. The Select Edit Fields dialog will appear.
- Choose the field or fields to be edited by checking the boxes at the beginning of each field description. Click Next to continue. The Edit Fields dialog will appear.
- Edit the required fields. Note that in the case of some fields, attaching and removing these attributes from documents can be done simultaneously. Click Next to continue. The notification screen will appear.
- Check that the fields being edited are correct and then click the Finish button to process the changes.